Wednesday 2 November 2016

Europe dreams

Dear Anne,

I hadn't looked at the blog in a while and then I realized you had posted - so exciting!  I do love reading about all your different ideas for the future.

My current daydream is about taking a three month trip to Europe.  We have been dreaming about a one-year leave and going on a big round the world trip but that would take a lot more work to get ready for (work wise, house wise).  I also realized that Andrew does better easing in to an idea.  I think going on a three month trip with the kids would be really informative as far figuring out if we would ever want to go on a longer trip.  As you say, it also allows us to balance the community here and the girls going to Sage's, if we did the trip in the summertime.

We are currently looking in to Europe, even though Europe in the summer would definitely be pricey.

Tonight I was looking at the car seats and trying to get an idea of whether you would travel by public transit or car rental.  A lot of people seem to caution against renting car seats, especially for older children.  We tried the RideSafer vest and it didn't work for Alexandria last year but I think I would be willing to give their new model a try.  But I am not sure if the new one is approved in Europe.  Even if it is, it seems that you need to use it with a booster seat in Europe and the booster seats only work once they are 40 pounds.  I am not sure how much Layla weighs now but it isn't 40 pounds - I wonder how close she is?!?

Some info by country:
- Germany: A child under 12 years of age and measuring less than 1.5m travelling in any type of vehicle, must be seated in a child seat or use a child restraint. It is prohibited to use a child seat in the front seat of a vehicle if the airbag has not been deactivated. All child restraints/seats used, must conform to ECE 44/03 or ECE 44/04.
- France: children up to the age of 10 must travel in an approved child seat or restraint, adapted to their age and size.
- Spain: Children up to the age of 12, measuring less than 135 cm must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight, except when travelling in a taxi in an urban area. 

I wonder what counts as a child restraint in Europe.

On a related note it looks like traveling by RV isn't safe for children :(  This post has some suggestions of what you can instead.  I had been daydream about an Australian road trip as part of a RTW trip.  That said do you know how big Australia is, oh my goodness, I plotted a route and it turned out to be something like 13,000 km!  Starting to think they should maybe be literate for something like that.

Yeah for dreaming :)

Hugs, Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment