Sunday 28 June 2015

Switching My AMEX

Dear Annabelle,

I am currently on hold with AMEX, trying to finally change my Canadian credit card to an American one.  I am hoping I will be able to get a bonus as part of the process.  Although I want to keep this card long term and would therefore like a no or low-fee card I realized that I could always get one of the ones with the fee waived the first year and then switch to a different AMEX in a year.  When I was switching my CIBC Visa today they told me that a switch to a new type of card can count as the same credit history - so at least that applies in Canada.  I want to build up my US credit score so I want to have a card long term.

I was debating which AMEX card to get.  If I qualify for the bonus I think I am going to go with the Gold Delta SkyMiles.  It is hard not knowing which airlines we are going to use the most but the debate seemed to be between this Delta one and the SPG one if I wanted a bonus.

.......

Just got off the phone.  Wow, it takes so long to go through everything!  They said I was able to apply for the SkyMiles card WITH BONUS since I had never had that card before.  Going with the Delta card meant getting a card that wasn't synergistic with the Chase Ultimate Rewards card but it had a higher bonus (50K vs. 25K with the SPG one).

Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer to: British Airways Executive Club, Korean Air SKYPASS, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards®, United MileagePlus®, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Amtrak Guest Rewards®, Hyatt Gold Passport®, IHG® Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®.

Whereas the Delta Partners are listed here and here.

Well we shall see if that was the right choice but at least it has no first year annual fee and I will get to start building some credit here.

Some links I read making the decision are here, here, here, here, and here.

I am actually thinking now that the SPG card might be good one for Andrew to go for next.  Maybe I should look into the options for his next one.  Mind you, we are only half way through the minimum spend on the Chase Preferred and this new one will have a $2000 spend so we should probably hold off for a little bit.

Hugs,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment