Thursday 2 July 2015

AMEX Premier Rewards Gold

Dear Annabelle,

In doing the chart of credit card partners I got thinking about the AMEX Membership Rewards and how flexible they are.  When I looked at the different AMEX cards recently I didn't see a very high reward for the Gold card, and it has a fairly high fee after the first year, so I didn't consider it.  Well today I am looking and I see a "Special Offer" for 50K.  It looks like the site was probably blocking the offer before because the cookies knew I was an AMEX customer (I had recently been logged in).  So it turns out you will see different offers if you log-in in a private tab or in my case are just not logged in.

The question is whether we would be eligible for the bonus.  AMEX has changed their rules so that you can only receive the bonus on a card once ever.  What I wonder is whether the Canadian card counts here in the US market?  And whether Andrew would be eligible since he has never had it as a primary cardholder.

As described here, it is attractive for the 50K bonus but also for having 3X points booked directly with airlines, 2X on US restaurants, gas stations, and supermarkets.  The two times on the gas stations and supermarkets would be great since the Chase Sapphire Preferred only has the bonus on travel and dining (at 2X).

It has been updated recently and no longer has foreign transaction fees.  It is also now giving a $100 airline fee credit, which if used would cut the annual fee essentially from $195 to $95 which is more palatable after the first year.

I think I will add it to the cards to consider getting list.

Hugs,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment