Tuesday 14 July 2015

Maps of Routings to Europe

Dear Annabelle,

I found some wonderful posts that give maps (and tables below them) of Star Alliance transatlantic routesOneWorld transatlantic routes, and Skyteam transatlantic routes.  It helps me to see it in map form.

If we wanted to fly direct from Denver to Europe, and then make a connection to Ireland, these maps indicate that our options would be either to Frankfurt on Lufthansa or to London Heathrow on British Airways.  I am pretty sure (but should double check) that both of those are going to have really big fuel surcharges.

I guess the next question would be where can you fly from in North America that is direct to Dublin, since I would really like to not take 3 flights.

  • The Star Alliance chart says United from EWR (Newark), IAD (Dulles), and ORD (Chicago).  Also, Air Canada Rouge from YYZ (Toronto).  It also says Dublin to LAX on Ethiopian.  Not sure I really want to go to California to fly to Dublin but good to know about I suppose.
  • The OneWorld chart says American Airlines to Dublin from CLT (Charlotte), JFK (NYC), ORD (Chicago), and PHL (Philadelphia).  
  • The Skyteam chart says Delta to Dublin from JFK (NYC) and ATL (Atlanta).  

I would also need to look at where we would want to fly back from if we did a stop-over or open jaw and what the connections were for that.

I wonder with kids whether it is better to transfer before or after the long flight.  I suppose it must depend partially on flight times.

Hugs,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment